Tuesday, February 15, 2011

http://www.newyorker.com/reporting/2011/01/17/110117fa_fact_brooks

This New Yorker article has a couple elements throughout it that I would like to include in my article that I will eventually write for Ampersand. First of all, I thoroughly enjoyed reading it. This of course is one aspect that I would hope that I could include in my Ampersand article. The other thing that I will pull from this New Yorker article is I might start by setting the scene in my article just like the author of this New Yorker did by describing a situation or a setting before diving strait into telling a full on story or providing all of my information.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/uknews/8326605/Baby-boomers-must-pay-for-their-own-elderly-care.html

This article includes several writing tools that were used throughout it. This is what I will take away from reading it and I will try and include several uses of the writing tips in my article for Ampersand as well. One example of when a writing tip was used in this article was when the author wrote, "He warned that the “squeezed” middle-classes face potentially the greatest burden, amid concerns that it is already too late to help ease the “catastrophic” costs likely to hit the recently retired." This example shows how the writing tip, make meaning early was used throughout this article, which I will hopefully also be able to include in my final Ampersand article.

http://www.newyorker.com/reporting/2011/01/24/110124fa_fact_lizza

This article, written in the New Yorker, was another good example of an article to base my article for Ampersand off of. This is because this article also used many of the writing tips we have been taught during class throughout it as well. For example, this article uses the writing tip of Concerts Not Pancakes. An example of where this writing tip is used is when the article says, "Kurt is actually a phenomenal dart player, but Jason, once he gets about six beers in him, is also phenomenal. They call him Dead-Eye.” Not only does the word "phenomenal" catch your attention at the beginning, but the phrase "Dead-Eye" ends the sentence with a bang as well.

No comments:

Post a Comment